Monday, July 23, 2007

Lies Women Believe


I am currently reading the book "Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free" by Nancy DeMoss. I was referred to this book by a few friends of mine that are in ministry. I don't know Nancy DeMoss and haven't read anything by her before, but this book is challenging!

Here is a lie that I have been convicted of believing in my own life. "My sin isn't really that bad." I think many of us would say that we live that lie out every day. In our lives right now, God is bringing a new awareness and conviction of how God sees sin in our lives. I must confess that I don't see my sin the way God's Word tells me that He sees my sin. Here is a passage from the book that I found thought provoking:

"Those of us who have grown up in good homes or in the church and have learned to "act right" are particularly susceptible to this deception. Some of us would never think of being a prostitute...using profanity or embezzling money from our employer or divorcing our mate.

Compared to others who commit these kinds of "serious" sins, it's easy for us to feel that we aren't so bad. Our sins of wasting time, self protection, talking too much, eating or drinking too much, a sharp tongue, a critical spirit, overspending, fear, worry, selfish motives, or complaining don't seem all that major. We may not even consider them to be sins at all- preferring to think of them as weaknesses, struggles, or personality traits.

If only we could see that every single sin is a big deal, that every sin is an act of rebellion and cosmic treason, that every time we choose our way instead of God's way, we are revolting against the God and King of the universe."

Wow! Romans 6:23 tells us the same thing "The wages of sin is DEATH, but the gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord."

I have been guilty of living a lie. I have been going through my day completely in denial about the sin that has ensnared me. I have not grieved the sin in my life. I have believed a lie of the Enemy that my sin is not really sin at all! I have brushed them off as struggles, weaknesses, etc. I have not seen my sin the way God sees my sin.

Please join with me today and ask God for eyes to see sin the way He sees your sin. Join with me in this puritan prayer...

Unmask in me sin's deformity, that I may hate it, abhor it, flee from it...
Let me never forget that the heinousness of sin lies not so much in the nature of the sin
committed,
As in the greatness of the person sinned against.

May we all experience revival in our lives as we embrace God's view of sin in our lives and repent and are healed. Thank you God for showing me my sin today.

No comments: