Monday, November 17, 2008

Awesome Anli!

Being a homeschool mom means that I get the amazing honor of seeing the growth and daily progress of both my girls. I have been homeschooling them for 3 years and truly count it an gift. Is it easy? Not all the time! Anli has a very severe form of dyslexia. She struggled daily for 2 years in the school system (though we had an awesome school with fabulous teachers). It was a steady decline and we were "loosing her" interest in learning all together.
When we stepped out of the school system to homeschool Janet, who had been our tutor for over a year, worked with us diligently for a year to get her up to grade level...as she was a certified Orton Gillingham tutor (for dyslexics). We are also blessed to have found a nearly perfect private school out of Pennsylvania that we attend via Internet. It offers DVDs for each subject, games for each subject, and audio text talk options for words they can't understand. It is completely suited and geared for children with different learning styles.
Why am I sharing all this? Well, I wanted to celebrate some AWESOME progress on Anli's part this year. She works twice as hard and long as most students. She never can cram for a test...it's a slow journey of learning. She never complains...and is the most diligent worker I have ever seen. But, it's always hard for her. But, this year a "light" has truly switched on as far as writing is concerned. Dyslexics are many times known by there terrible handwriting...but not this year for Anli. Check it out!!

This was some of her work at the end of last year:


This was her spelling test today! Not only is the writing gorgeous...EVERY word was spelled correctly the FIRST time! Do you notice one word is Native American...wow! It was a challenge word and she got it right! They even bring in review words from last week's spelling list...and yep, she got those too. I am bursting with joy!We are working on cursive this years...and just look at the beautiful work. She loves cursive and is doing AMAZING work.
Dyslexia has changed my life...for good. No, I'm not dyslexic...but homeschooling a child with learning differences changes you in a powerful way. In our home success in school is not about a numerical grade...it's about progress, effort, diligence, and fun! It's about learning...not cramming like I did all through school. It has changed my philosophy on education...and I didn't even know I had one!
Learning is something that spans a lifetime...not a grade. School is simply another way for us to bring glory to God. Learning differences are a gift! They slow you down and make you look at your reasons for learning and redefines the word "success." It shifts the focus from letters and numbers...to finding joy in God through learning about all the things He has created!
Anli and I spend most of our time googling pictures of "compound eyes" on dragonflies...to see just how those crazy things work(did that today...and I learned so much!). We use our hands to mold volcanoes, do fun projects, and make the words on that page come alive! Because on the page...those words are just a mess in her mind:)
I thank God for dyslexia. I thank Him that it makes life more interesting at our home. It makes us take another look at life. It makes us kneel moment by moment at the Throne of the Father who created us.
I thank Him today for Anli being able to show me just a glimpse of what is in that beautiful mind of hers on paper...what a gift!

post signature

No comments: