Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Back to School Update!

We began our homeschool year last Monday and we are LOVING our new year of My Father's World curriculum! We began using this last year after I had been eyeing it for over a year learning all about it. But, there's nothing like truly getting it in your hands and working with it yourself with your kids. And last year we fell. in. love with it!

So, we ordered the next year and are beginning our trek through the 4 years of history! We are doing a chronological history...which is the way it happened ;-) This year we will travel from Creation to the Greeks...and I am just thrilled with it so far! We are already learning some Greek in our book English from the Roots Up. This will help us to learn and love one of the languages of the Bible...and also learn more about our English roots as well. Our first word? Biblos...book...where we get our word Bible. I love that :-)

My Father's World is not only a history program that walks us through history from Creation until Modern Times in 4 years...but it includes our Bible, Vocabulary (English from the Roots Up), Music, Science (they use lots of Answers in Genesis material that follows the days of Creation along with Genesis for Kids), and Art History (God and the History of Art following the years we study in History and it will span the next 4 years). It's very thematic and everything focuses on the same time period we are studying. I'm a very thematic person!!!

We will be using Shurley English for this year and perhaps next year. It's going good so far...

Along with that, our girls will be taking their enrichment classes at Timothy Ministry. I can't wait to see all the fun they have learning guitar, knitting, ballet, cookie decorating, karate, and piano this year. They will also be doing Keepers again this year where they will earn badges for learning photography (taught by me!), service projects, card making, cross stitching, and cooking! We are super excited about all that too...whew.

It's surely going to be a busy year, as always, but we are also enjoying being back in our routine! My husband was about to go crazy and asked that we start school earlier this year...'cause he was just in major need of some structure :-)

So...that's what's going on around here for school this year. This will be our 5th year to homeschool and we are loving it! I count it an honor to be a mom to these amazing blessings...and the icing on the cake is I'm their teacher too :-)

I hope that your year is kicking off great whether you homeschool or attend public or private school! Enjoy every moment while it lasts...they are going by so fast these days.


post signature

No comments: