Thursday, August 30, 2007

Conviction...

Well, I don't really think that the old phrase "Don't Worry Be Happy" is true...God's been saying some pretty strong things to me this week about worry.

Recently, I have begun a daily reading program that will lead me through the Bible in 6 months. I have read the Bible through before and have loved doing it...though I still keep my regular chapter by chapter study of the Bible as my fellowship time (I don't like calling it quiet time...because for me it is rarely quiet...I gotta sing, speak, dance, etc. with my God!) with God each morning. The reading is something that I do before bed to really enjoy the whole council of God's Word each day.

Well, last night I was in Genesis and Matthew. Then, as I was about finished with the reading for that day in Matthew...I hit Matthew 6:31-33. Check it out:
"So don't worry about these things, saying, 'What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear' These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows your needs. Seek the kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." NLT



WOW! The part that God hit me with, in my life last night, was that worrying about such things...about anything really...is the kind of thing that unbelievers do! So, God laid some heavy conviction on my heart about the thoughts that dominate my mind. Are they the kind of thoughts that would characterize a follower of Christ or one who is only living for the temporal things of this earth? I hate to say that for the last week and a half my thoughts have been that of one who doesn't trust the heavenly Father for her needs.

My thoughts have been things like...
What will the home inspection say?
Will we still close on time?
Will we have enough money this year?
Will this online academy be OK for Anli?
Will we still see our friends?
Will our apartment be safe?
Will we go overseas?

And I could go on all day...sadly it's true. So, does that sound like a child who trusts her heavenly Father to you? In case I had any doubts...God's Word was quite clear that I am in a stronghold of worry and that's what unbelievers are like. Talk about some heavy conviction! But, oh how it is medicine to the soul!

It's not pretty what we find looking into the standard of God's Word. But, I am so grateful that God is all in my business even when I want Him to stay OUT of my business. People want to make you feel better about your sin and help you justify it...but God wants it gone! He does that because He knows how deadly and joy-stealing sin is for His children.

I challenge you today to be in God's Word. Maybe expand past your daily fellowship time with Him and dive into it for a good long read...like you would your favorite novel. It's simply the BEST! But, be prepared for God to be in your business...and you might have to share that with others!

No comments: