Ever since Jay and I have been married, we have observed "functional" holidays. That means that if there was a birthday, holiday, or anniversary that fell on a day that was packed with things we couldn't help...we observed a "functional" day to celebrate. Now, it has taken me a few years to truly get onboard with Jay's idea. Don't even get me started on one Mother's Day!
Anyway, since I had a retreat this past weekend and my birthday fell on that Friday, we celebrated my birthday together as a family on Thursday. Jay wanted to take me out to a nice restaurant and give me their gifts. But, if you know me...food is not something that really gets me excited! So, he asked where I wanted to go for dinner - and I wanted to go to Sonic! Yes, you read correctly! I wanted to eat there in the car with just my little family around laughing and joking together...I also wanted the new Sweetheart Blast.
The Sweetheart Blast has been a tradition for the past 4 years. Every February we go to Sonic to check out the new Sweetheart Blast and every year it gets better and better. This year is my favorite because it is a combination of raspberry and dark chocolate...what could be better?
So, I had the very best birthday ever! And since we spent a whopping $15 on dinner...I got to go shopping with the rest! We had a great time together and my girls made me a beautiful painting and made the wrapping paper too! Jay didn't even know about it! They are awesome!
Jay gave me a wonderful new outfit to speak in for my upcoming retreats and a new pair of shoes that I could wear...broken toe and all. He is a sweetie and we are looking forward to a night out with all his Valentine's tomorrow night...it's a surprise he says!
Anli takes our photo every year...they are pretty funny to look at! But, it is part of the Valentine tradition! So here is our recent photo along with last years. At least we are both in the photo this time!I hope that tomorrow as you shower those around you with love, candy, presents, dinners, and cards that you don't forget the Author of love. Meditate on this verse as you thank Him for the love you are surrounded with today!
"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16




No comments:
Post a Comment