Well, I don't know about you, but becoming a parent has somehow erased 95% of my memory...never to return again. I have so much going on each day that it is a challenge for me to carve out some time to memorize the Word. But, that's not an excuse and I know that what I put in my brain will be the thing that comes out of my mouth and that will make their way to my heart. So, I had to find time to focus on a specific scripture so that I could get it through my foggy brain!
That's right...I memorize scripture while I am washing my hair! Well, that is about the only time in my day that I am uninterupted and it's pretty quiet. I decided that during that time I could focus on memorizing and meditating on that scripture and it would focus my mind on it for the rest of the day.
It is simply an index card in a zip top baggie...duct taped to the wall. I found that on that wall it didn't get very wet and the tape has been sticking for several days...which is how long I keep it up before move onto another verse.
My scripture for this week is found in Ephesians 4:
"I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient , bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace."
Now, you don't have to memorize scripture in between shapoo and conditioner applications like I do, but you do need to take some time to do it! I share this little funny thing in my life to encourage you to be creative in your spiritual life. You'll find that there are moments in your day that can be changed from idle time to amazing times with God. I want each moment that I live here on earth to be lived to the glory of God. Now, I can say I am washing my hair to the glory of God (smile)!
Really, take some time today to devote yourself to writing God's Word on your mind and heart. Look at what the Bible says about what we put in our hearts and minds...
"The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks." Luke 6:45
If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. 1 Peter 4:11
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17
"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates" Deuteronomy 11:18-20
There are so many more that I could name...but you get the point. So, start today! Take one verse and place it somewhere you will come into contact with it throughout your day and begin memorizing God's Word. Our pastor at Noonday puts verses on sticky notes and puts them in the pocket of his slacks so that every time he puts his hands into his pockets he is reminded of his verse. Be creative...do what works for you...but do it! You'll be amazed that you DO have time and you CAN memorize God's Word and it WILL make a life difference!



No comments:
Post a Comment