Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sewing up a storm!


OK, my friends can verify that I have never been a sewing kind of person. I always thought it took WAY too long and the glue gun could get the same results much quicker. I am known as the "glue gun girl" this side of the Mississippi!

But, about 6 months or more ago, Jay bought me a sewing machine. At the time we were preparing to go overseas for a few years and knew buying clothes would be a challenge for my tall, skinny girls. So, we bought a nice machine and I found a great pattern for capri pants. So, I tied it a little and made a cute pair of PJ pants for Virginia, while trying to understand patterns, winding the bobbin, threading my machine, and other things that seemed like a foreign language to me.

You see, my mother does NOT sew. And that isn't be mistake...it is by design. She will crochet, knit, and cross stitch...but no sewing of clothes. My dad even bought her a sewing machine to entice her...but no way! So, I haven't ever really had a desire or a need to sew.

But, last week I went to Joann's and found the CUTEST fabrics and appliques that myself and the girls just fell in love with! So, we bought tons of fabric and the pressure was now on to MAKE something from all of this cute fabric. So, I dove in last Sunday and let me tell you I have now become addicted! I love to sew and I have an easy pattern that I can now crank out a pair of capri pants in about 20 minutes...and the matching shirt in about 15 depending on what kind of design I have done.

It has been a blast this week as Spring break has canceled ballet, church, Awana, etc. So, here is the proof of my sewing experience. I love it and have about 5 more pairs to go before we head to Myrtle Beach in a week and a half. That is my goal...and I plan to meet it too! I love being able to choose the fabrics I want and making cute shirts to match! And it CHEAP too.

Sorry, glue gun...you may have met your match. But, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for you, never fear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you ever need more practice, just let me know. I think they are very cute and could give you Jennifer's measurements. :)
Cindy

Michelle said...

Look at you go... I'm impressed! I never liked to sew-- I tried for 4-H but I always got a red ribbon! gun fan! I was just putting fabric