Thursday, December 3, 2009

Catching up...part 1

The week of Thanksgiving we enjoyed some very fun and educational things as we continued to learn about the true history of Thanksgiving. We all enjoyed this unit study along with most of our regular studies. One day we learned all about the Mayflower Compact which those on board the Mayflower drew up in order to agree on how they would approach rule in this new land. So, while we read over the Mayflower Compact itself and talked about what it meant, we decided to make our own Worthington Compact. It was purely put together by the girls and it was AWESOME! It talked about how our lives and our family would strive hard after Jesus and to live like He would desire according to His Word! I mean I was floored!
So we printed out our new Compact and then we just HAD to make quill pens to sign it! So, we took straws and construction paper and it was done! They turned out great and since we cut the tip of the straw at an angle it made writing with "ink" (or paint) really pretty easy! So, we all signed our names.

Cool feather quill pens!

Then, we made our own parchment paper. We crumpled the paper up and then made a batch of tea and let it steep for the morning so it was nice and dark. Then, we poured that over the paper and brushed it all over. We let it sit for a while...

then we dried it with a hair dryer so it would dry crumpled and hard. That's it! I kept it and I will cherish those precious words from the girls!

I won't post the whole thing...it's quite long and kind of our family thing. But, trust me it was awesome!

Then that afternoon we joined an online chat at the Scholastic website where children from schools all over the US gathered to have a live chat with a Wampanoag Indian and a Pilgrim Interpreter from Plimouth Plantation (yes that is how it is spelled!).
It was SOOO awesome and we had such fun reading the children's questions and even got to submit two ourselves. There were over 900 people online! It was really cool and we were on there about an hour and it was so interesting.
We had a wonderful time in November and I know I learned so much I didn't know before. We read LOTS of books, watched some great documentaries, and made some amazingly fun crafts. And now it's time for Advent...love it!

post signature


No comments: