Monday, August 11, 2008

Mom!!!

We just returned from a wonderful weekend with my parents and were fed amazing fresh veggies and lots of yummy food! Well, my poor husband was left with this!

*Note: I made the tea and lemonade and cut the fruit on the bottom shelf today. I also cooked the noodles for Virginia's lunch...so, imagine it without those items. I know...

Well, you see we are headed out of town again on Thursday to see some of our dearest friends and I don't want to load up at the grocery store knowing we'll never have time to eat it all!

So, my plan...is to eat up everything we can in our pantry and fridge. Boy, have I found some things waaaaaaaay in the back of this little apartment fridge! One of which is the vanilla Silk on the door. I bought it one day thinking we would drink it in our cereal...or at least that was the plan.

Evidently, the key is to push all the things you THINK you will hate to the back of the fridge until they go out of date and then you can legally throw them in the trash can without feeling so bad.

**Note: I am completely OCD about out of date items. I am known far and wide for checking dates on things...in other people's houses...without them looking of course!! But, my parents are almost beyond recovery. This weekend I found popsicles in their freezer that went out of date in 2006! My mom's reply? "Honey, they are just now getting really good." What do you say to that?

But, not this week! I was the one who dared to pour the smallest amount possible into a little bowl of cereal to taste it...and it's really good. I HATE milk...so I may not be the best one to judge. But, I ate it and actually enjoyed the stuff. I don't know that I'm brave enough to drink a glass...I don't think I can get past the fact that it COULD taste remotely like milk.

Today, Virginia found me folding laundry on her bedroom floor and cried out emphatically...

"MOM!!!!"

"Yes, I'm in your room Ginia."

"We have NOTHING in our refrigerator!!!"

"Yeah, I know."

"What HAPPENED to everything?"

Then, Jay emailed me and told me that this morning he sneezed while holding the fridge opened...and it echoed. Oh well!

Though I must say, both girls were extremely happy when I came up with a dessert from the things I had in the pantry. We are having graham crackers, melted chocolate chips with marshmellow creme on top! They were dancing around with marshmellow creme all over their faces this afternoon in glee. So, sometimes it really does pay to get creative and actually eat what is in your house! You never know what you might find.

So, we are going to eat the things we have left in our pantry (which is about as bare too) and then head off to Alabama to eat our friends out of house and home!! Really, it's been fun and we have had more than enough to eat! We just pile our home too full of food we don't eat and hardly know what is even in our fridge and pantry. So, at least now either we eat it...or off it goes to the food pantry at First Baptist Woodstock! And next week, I will gladly return to the grocery store!

post signature

No comments: