Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I'm Paper sick...

Well, today I am officially papersick. It's a lot like morning sickness...just different! It still reminds you that things are progressing along...but...it's still kind of sickening!

Today we had to do our fingerprinting at the Cherokee county detention center. Well, for some reason I must have really difficult fingers...or prints...or something. It took the officer a LONG time to finally get some prints that the sweet little machine would accept. I might or might not have a complex about my fingers now.

Then, I took Jay back to work (who, by the way, totally has cooperative fingerprints...of course!) then headed off to the FedEx office on Highway 92. The big dumpster in front of the first building might have been a sign of things to come. It was closed for flooding and remodeling. It had a few other addresses and so the girls and I headed off to find the next location.

Now, I guess I have officially lived under a rock my whole life because this was my first time to mail something FedEx by myself. Now, I have had jobs in my former life...but when you work in the creative end of publishing...you don't do much with FedEx...at least I didn't.

This was NOT the day for someone who has never darkened the door of a FedEx location to TRY to mail VERY important documents to the FBI!!!!! Um...I was sweating. See, I'm not the detail person of our marriage. I don't do the money, I don't do the bills, I don't try to work with important documents. I...do the mommy side of things. I get really nervous when things like fingerprints, background information, 911 call logs, and the sort have to be mailed off to people who ARE detail oriented and get paid to check EVERYTHING.

So, I do what I always do when I am totally clueless...I march right up to the counter and tell them how ignorant and clueless I am and beg for their help. I find that most people like to know things...and like to talk about what they know...and will usually help those that admit they are clueless. Today...my lady was less than impressed.

I just laid all my things on the counter...told her what I was told in a very lengthy letter on how to send all this stuff...and then waited for her kind help. Um...no. She looked back at me and said...I don't know what you are supposed to do. Um...what???

An hour later...4 times up at the counter with the WRONG forms (there are like a LOT of forms!) I think I finally got everything sent to it's rightful place...or not...I'll find out soon enough. She had no mercy on the ignorant. She sent me back to that little desk of forms 3 times. I had to call my home study agency...tear up several forms...and pretty much beg God to help me have a "sound mind."

Towards the end, when it finally looked like there was a light at the end of the tunnel, she saw the packet that had ADOPTION - PLEASE EXPEDITE on it. She talked a little to me about it and seemed to be a little kinder when I told her about it. I pray that all those precious little prints and papers and releases get to their right places.

So, today is one of those papersick days. They aren't always the most fun part of the process, but they do remind you that you ARE in the process...and that something REALLY precious is on the way!!! That about wraps up the paperwork for right now...until we are matched with a little one (hopefully NEXT week!!) then there is another round for the Africa side of things.

I think from now on...I will be sending my very smart, very detail oriented, very knowledgeable hubby to the FedEx office. In adoption...you get to SHARE the sickness:)


post signature

1 comment:

James 1:27 Family said...

love the term "paper sick." That's great! I'm paper sick too. We just finished our last home study meeting last night. We applied with Amani several weeks ago and haven't heard a word. I noticed on your blog that you applied and heard back in 2 days. Any suggestions?

In Jesus,
Amy