Thursday, September 24, 2009

Some Homeschool fun

We have so enjoyed our year of homeschool this year. We have changed curriculum and are so very glad that we did! It just fits where we are this year. We (with much help from my friend Brooke) chose Apologia for our science. It focuses a year of immersed study following the days of creation. This year we are immersed into Astronomy. We LOVE it! I feel like finally we are "getting" something...instead of just getting a little bit here and there.

Each week or so we have an activity to get our "hands on" learning. Recently (since I'm a little behind on posting) we all worked together to make a solar system. We try to make Fridays our experiment days...since Jay is home on those days to do school with us!

We used all sizes of balloons to make a scale model of the planets. It gave us measurements and we blew the balloons up to that size and then we hung it up in our sunroom/classroom. It was such fun...and we ALL got involved!
Jay was in charge of measuring and hanging up the planets. He is our resident engineer brain...so we give him all the "boring" stuff...and we got to work on decorating them to look like the planets!
That big one is Saturn. We enjoyed drawing the rings on it. I love teaching the girls! I love seeing them enjoy learning...and you know what...I am learning SO much too. There is so much I don't know about Astronomy...and I have a minor in science!!!
There will be many more fun experiments and homeschool posts to come as we truly enjoy our new year of learning and growing. What a blessed momma I am! I thank Him every day...

post signature


No comments: