
"...the heads of fathers’ houses of the Levites, were in the chambers of the temple free from other service, for they were on duty day and night." 1 Chronicles 9:33
I read this verse earlier this week and have been chewing on it all week long. I have been studying its meaning in the Hebrew as well to get a full idea of what was going on here in this verse. In this portion of 1 Chronicles 9, we are seeing a glimpse of the responsibilities of some of the different tribes.
But, the wording to me is so thought provoking here in this verse. Do you see the beauty in the wording? It says that they are free from other services...for they were on duty day and night! It does NOT say that they were free of service...to hang out, go fishing, read a magazine, shop, or talk on their cell phones! It says that they were free of the other services (that were ordained by God for others to perform)but they were on duty day and night.
What does that mean? Well, what I have been applying to my life today and all week is the fact that I must be willing to say "no" to some services so that I am free to do the work God has called me to do. Easier said than done in my life! But, it is my goal...to be in step with the Holy Spirit every day so that I am joining the vision God has for my life. I don't want to be constantly busying myself with "service" all the while ignoring the duty God has called me to day and night! I know that if I am breathing today that God has a plan for how He intends for me to use that time.
I don't know about you, but there are all kinds of service that I have either taken because I couldn't say no or I thought that if I didn't do it then no one would. This verse has rebuked, challenged, and encouraged me to stay in step with the Holy Spirit and only do those things that He has assigned me.
How will you know? Well, God's Word and the precious gift of the Holy Spirit are crucial in knowing and joining God. The more I find myself in His Word...the more I sense the leadership of the Holy Spirit in my daily activities. He gets into my business every single day...and though it's convicting and challenging...I love it!
How about you? Are there places of "service" that you are doing that you know aren't where God has you to be? Are you so busy with the other "services" that you are neglecting the duties that God desires you to be on task with day and night? If so, dig deep into His Word and release those things that are simply works of the flesh. We can do those things all day long...but if they are not unto the Lord...they are completely selfish.
This isn't a cop out to get around serving the Lord with all your heart, mind, soul and strength. It says in that verse that they were on duty day and night...they just knew what their duty was to the Lord. May that be the goal and pursuit of my life...to be serving my Lord day and night...not myself!
Thursday, September 27, 2007
A verse I am chewing on this week...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment