I have been devouring books recently. God has brought so many amazing books my way and I have just been feasting on the lives of those I respect in the faith. To say I have been challenged is quite an understatement. I'm kind of over TV...and I never really was into in the first place. God has been working out idleness in my life and working reading and conviction deep into the fabric of my days.
There are so many things I am pondering right now...it's nearly impossible to write about it all. But, here is snapshot of some books that God has brought my way:
The Art of Compassion - This is a project begun by Martin Smith (of the group Delirious) who brought together artists for the purpose of writing songs and putting together a CD about the poverty around this world...and doing something about it. The artists all were released from their contracts with their labels in order to do a project where they would give 100 percent of everything earned to the poorest of this world...to show and share the love of Christ with them. Then, each artist wrote a chapter of this book sharing what God has taught them about being an active part of justice and compassion and giving.
This book has shaken me to the core. It has exposed selfishness, laziness, greed, and apathy in my life towards those God challenged us to take care of in His Name. He defined for us the type of worship He desires...to care for those in need...not to bring more songs and sacrifice. You need to read this book.
I Kissed Dating Goodbye - This book challenges those who are single(and those of us who are not anymore) to strive for complete purity in our lives. It exposes the lies of dating and encourages everyone to live every area of our lives for the complete glory of God. Excellent book...Elizabeth Elliott loves it...enough said!
Feminie Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother - WOW! This book is by Carolyn Mahaney who is married to C.J. Mahaney of Sovreign Grace Ministries. She is truly amazing! She and her daughters write a blog that I find the most biblical one out there right now for women...Girltalk. It is wonderfully challenging and does not trample the things of God underfoot for the sake of being witty and hip. I'm just at the start of this book...but it is good stuff.
Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross: Experiencing the Passion and Power of Easter - This a compilation of 25 sermons from some amazing men...including John Piper, Charles Spurgeon, John MacArthur, John Owen, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, J.I. Packer, Joni Earikson Tada, and lots more. It's a powerhouse of conviction, exhortation, and pure passion for Jesus Christ.
Instructing a Child's Heart: This is the follow up to Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp. This is another amazing resource for parents. Jay and I are going through this together.
I'm in prayer about a few things...one of which is blogging. I'll share more...perhaps...perhaps not. Just praying over some things I am seeing as blogging takes over the world it seems. I don't know...it just seems like that familiar voice of God is tackling yet another frontier of my life.
We only have a vapor here on earth...Lord, please make this vapor life poured out like a drink offering.




No comments:
Post a Comment