Saturday, February 21, 2009

Saxby Chambliss' email

I just received a response on my email to Saxby Chambliss about our economic status and the bills that were before him recently. I thought I would pass it along to you so that you know how he is voting. And yes...I do email my government officials, but more importantly we must pray for them.

Dear Mrs. Worthington:

Thank you for your previous correspondence on the economy. I appreciate hearing from you.

I share your concerns about the negative effects the current economic downturn is having on Georgia's families. This is the number one issue facing Georgians today, and it is having a significant effect on family budgets and small businesses.

On January 28, 2009, the House of Representatives voted along party lines to pass H.R. 1, the "American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009" and send it to the Senate. As lawmakers worked to amend this legislation, the majority repeatedly discouraged efforts to find solutions that would truly stimulate the economy.

Instead of focusing on creating jobs, boosting the housing sector and lending a hand to Americans who have lost jobs through no fault of their own, this massive bill morphed into a bloated government giveaway. It is one of the most expensive pieces of spending legislation ever created. It also expands an already enormous deficit.

Therefore, I voted against cutting off debate on the legislation, and against its passage in the Senate. However, the bill passed by a vote of 61-37. On February 13, 2009, I also voted against the conference report of the bill, which ultimately passed by a vote of 60-38.

The majority in Congress has been in runaway mode when it comes to spending taxpayer dollars. This legislation is yet another sign that Washington is more concerned with pet projects than with taxpayers' concerns.

If we do not get a handle on federal spending - including both discretionary and entitlement programs - and make reforms now, we will pass this burden to our children and grandchildren. We must reform our budget process, put an end to wasteful spending and implement the fiscal responsibility that taxpayers demand and deserve.

post signature

No comments: