Today's reading on the countdown to Resurrection Day has really been speaking to me (it's what is written above). Many times I am lulled into every day comforts of living in one of the wealthiest countries in the world. Here are just a few of the creature comforts I enjoy:
*I'm used to having lightening fast wireless Internet in my home and most locations that I visit.
*I am accustomed to always being at a comfortable temperature in my home or car...with instant access to change that according to how I am feeling.
*I am thrilled to have a pantry filled with yummy food.
*I have clean water that comes out at my demand that will not make me sick.
*I have a wonderfully comfy apartment that is decorated and clean.
*I have electricity at any time that I want...never give it a second thought.
*I have the money to do fun and creative things with my family without much saving.
*I am able to go out to dinner or lunch with friends at a moment's notice.
*I have multiple TVs, alarm clocks, beauty products, make up, shoes, shirts, jeans, socks, hair products, plates, silverware, glasses, toys for my children, movies, video game systems, beds, bathrooms, tables, books to read, computers to use, and too much more!
*I have a wonderful car that is bigger than I need with more accessories than I need.
OK, I can't go on or feeling quite sick. I am blessed. These are gifts from God. But...I am easily lulled into living a life of comfort and not the kind of life Jesus set before me by His example.
How many things in my life are "hard things"?
How often do I truly fellowship in the sufferings of Christ?
When was the last time that I was truly out of my comfort zone?
When did I give until it really was a sacrifice for me?
How many times am I thinking of the poor and needy of this earth?
Is the plight of this earth truly on my heart and in my prayers each day?
Do I care for those who are the "least of these"?
Can I loose my "life"?
Look Isaiah 58:6-10 has something to say about this:
"Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.
Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; You will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. "
If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday.
The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. "
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27
The life of Christ is the other problem too. He chose to do the hard things of life. He chose to walk the road of Calvary, be betrayed by those that knew his better than anyone, be beaten, flogged, crucified and alone. He walked every day here on earth instead of the comfort of heaven. He chose to love marred, selfish, angry, hateful, sinful people...and be rejected. He never did the easy comfortable things of earthly life. He had no place to lay his head.
The devotion above and a book called the Art of Compassion...and mostly the perfect Word of God is calling me to do some hard things. He has brought up some hard choices to make in our lives...things that will hurt and are out of our comfort zone. It will be messy. It will make us cry. It will break our hearts. It will cause some discomfort...and begin to strip some of the selfishness out of my life.
What do I SPEND myself on?
He is narrowing the path and asking us to follow...when it's hard. My spirit is willing...but I confess that my flesh is quite weak. It still enjoys the earthly comforts the world peddles every minute of each day. Will I walk the path?
I must.
My sweet husband is more ready than I. He's leading down a road I never saw myself walking. He's not afraid of what I think is a hard thing. But, my spirit...the one that Christ place in me the moment that I accepted Him as my Savior...is willing because it hears the voice of it's Master...it's Beloved.
I must follow.
But, this flesh is weak. It never wants to hurt. It doesn't want to cry. It wants what feels good and looks pretty. It's not a big fan of messy. It wants to stay comfortable. It wants the neat package and wonderful results. It never wants to risk.
I must deny it.
Christ commands that I am to follow Him. I'm working on that in this area. Day by day in His Word and with wise counsel...I'm taking one step at a time. With my precious Jesus ahead and my wonderful husband leading us, I am learning that again...
It is not about me.
I want to do whatever my Savior wants as long as I can, as much as I can, and in as many ways as I can. My friends say that there is always something going on our lives...and I pray that it's always that way. Help us to run hard after You, sweet Jesus! Lead us to the hard things and prepare a feast with you. We can't wait!
Thursday, March 26, 2009
The hard things...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment