Friday, February 12, 2010

Family Focused Friday

One morning the girls got up and saw that the "mail woman" had delivered an extra big gift!! I had been searching for a new devotion for the girls to do for their quiet time in the morning. They had been doing one that was a devotion for "little princesses" and though I totally believe my girls are princesses...they are not so little anymore...sniff.

So, while my family was baking away making my awesome daisy cake I went to spend some time at the Christian bookstore looking for new devotion books for them. I am quite a hard sell when it comes to books...and especially devotionals. I'm REALLY picky and so it takes me LOTS of time to make sure it's what I want. I take it seriously.

About 4 hours later (I exaggerate...but it was close!) I think I have found one I like and they like! It is a one year devotion that begins each day with THEM looking up the Scripture in their OWN Bibles. I want them opening their Bibles every single morning and reading the Words for themselves. That way they get more and more familiar with the Bible and can make notes or highlight verses they like. Also, God may lead them to other verses above and below the ones for that day. I like that.

Then, there is a small story that is about the theme for the day. They are cute and applicable too. The girls really like those since it is all about girls...the title of this devotional is The One Year Devos for Girls! Lastly, it has a focal memory verse for the day. It's more of just a verse to think about every day...then there is a focal thought to kind of summarize it all. Overall I'm happy with it and the girls were THRILLED!

So, each morning they are enjoying getting up to spend their time with the Lord personally. We have our family devotion time that is a little more expository with Jay. He goes through a book of the Bible verse by verse and helps them to crack it open to find application for their lives. He does a great job! But, we do want them to have personal times where they are alone getting in the Word themselves.

So, if you have a girl between the ages of 7-13...I think this would be a good purchase to make. And since I have two girls...I bought the first and second one so that we are good for TWO years!! They have a notebook to write their prayers and thoughts in...so that we can switch books next year. I love it!

I'm loving how the "mailbox" was able to hold that BIG book!

post signature

No comments: