Tuesday, February 2, 2010

What's on our RADAR??

This past week we had a fun project to do in our science curriculum - Apologia. We *LOVE* Apologia because it takes such a strong creation stance and I am learning so much about the solar system and the intricate ways God fashioned each planet. It has totally given me some new insight and I love that my girls are getting a wonderful background in how GOD created the world. It stops several times throughout each section to specifically tell the girls (and me!) about ways we can KNOW that evolution is false. It tells them how to refute certain arguments against creationism. I LOVE it!! We have been studying Venus for a while and it has a very thick atmosphere that keeps the temperature there around 850 degrees all the time. So...needless to say they haven't sent any people there to see what it looks like on the surface of Venus.
But, they use radars to depict how the landscape looks. So...we were challenged to do an experiment to see how radars work. My husband made a "secret" landscape for us and covered the box with a cotton cover that looks like the clouds of Venus.
Then, we copied a grid with numbers on it and colored our bamboo skewer different colors to let us know how deep we could punch the skewer through until it "hit" something.
The girls took turns punching the holes and reading the data. They really had a great time figuring out where all the hills and valleys were in the box.

I was the record keeper and for each square on the grid we logged the color on the bamboo skewer.

Once we had all of our data...we could open the box and see how our "radar" worked!


The girls got it RIGHT on! Great job girls!
We had a great time and learned so much about radars. I tell ya...I love homeschooling more every day:)

post signature


No comments: