Yesterday my precious grandmother passed from this earthy life into a glorious new day in heaven with her beloved Jesus. I was named for my grandmother and the two of us have been connected in a special bond my entire life. But, who wouldn't love her? This 5 foot ball of love, humor, kindness, servanthood, joy, and fight was my greatest mentor. She taught me to pray when I was old enough to speak. She has been my constant companion in prayer as I have traveled on mission trips (her dream) to Africa, India, and Poland.
Frances Cole was a light to every life around her. She was the one who took meals to the nuns!!! She served those who are servants! She read her Bible every single day of her life and prayed for missionaries and "the poor people" all across this world. She cooked meals tirelessly for anyone and everyone who was in need...whether she knew them or not. She could dance a mean jitterbug...and her favorite...the "Sumter Jump."
She was one of my best friends. I know many can not say that their grandmother was one of their best and closest friends, but mine was! As a teenage I proudly wore every piece of clothing she didn't want anymore. I couldn't wear her pants...but I sported everything she gave me with pride. She had style!
My grandmother took me with her to jazzercise...and she could dance circles around me! When my parents divorced I stayed with her all day while my sweet mom returned to work. She would let me play tennis, swim in her huge pool, and I have precious memories of my fabulous Honey sitting in a chair sunning by the pool writing her "correspondence." She loved to write letters and was an amazing writer. She made you feel like she was right next to you telling you all the news!
Every single day I wear a ring that my parents made me from her diamond necklace given to her by my grandfather. It is priceless to me! She gave me the most beautiful golden bow ring when I turned 13 and it waits for Anli on her 13th also. For graduation she presented me with a ring made from her father's watch fob and I cherish each of these keepsakes she has blessed me with through the years. Each woman in our family has an identical cross that she had made by a jeweler for our family. She was the first to wear that golden cross...and there are very few days you will EVER catch me without that gold cross around my neck. She has instilled a family love that goes deeper than most every experience. She invested deeply...and her reward is just as rich!
There's not enough time to talk about how precious my grandmother was to me. It was truly quite special to have her as one of my best friends. I was on my way to see her and hug her one last time yesterday, but I missed her by about 15 minutes. I think my heavenly Father knew that this one might just be too hard for my heart. So, I have memories of her that will last a lifetime until I can hug her neck in heaven. She is with the Jesus she loved for a lifetime. She taught me how to pray and to love Jesus. She was the most amazing grandmother, mentor, and friend. No other name suits her better than our sweet "Honey."
You can see the cross around my neck...and my grandfather's ring around hers. The past two years she placed his ring on her necklace. Every one of us has this cross and the necklace too. It's a reminder to me now more than every that the cross of Jesus Christ is the foundation that lasts forever!



You can see the cross around my neck...and my grandfather's ring around hers. The past two years she placed his ring on her necklace. Every one of us has this cross and the necklace too. It's a reminder to me now more than every that the cross of Jesus Christ is the foundation that lasts forever!




3 comments:
What a beautiful post! I will be praying for you all over the next few days. So sorry.
What a wonderful legacy she leaves. It is obvious she was a wonderful lady. We are praying for all of you guys!
Thinking of you and your sweet Honey.
Post a Comment