Thursday, October 9, 2008

Birthdays, Anniversaries, and Salt dough...

This week was my cousin Fletcher's birthday, my parent's anniversary, and my grandmother's birthday is tomorrow! It's been a crazy week. So, we are headed to Alabama tomorrow to celebrate with everyone. It's going to be a big surprise for my grandmother, but it will be wonderful to see family we haven't see in a while.

So, this week we have been working on some salt dough crafts to give my grandmother for her birthday. It is really meaningful to give her something her great-grandchildren made for her! My mom taught me how to make this very simple craft medium and once it is baked and sealed...it will last! We made our dough and spent one night making lots of fun crafts to give Honey (what we call my grandmother). It was very simply and VERY fun!

We used a set of fall cookie cutters to make some really cute leaves, pumpkins and acorns. Then we baked them in a 200 degree oven for about an hour. We then let them sit overnight to make sure they were nice and hard...and ready for...PAINT! We painted them with watercolors so that you could still see the markings we made and they turned our really cute!


Anli made an angel and the cutest cornucopia and fruit I have ever seen! I am so jealous Honey gets that one. She has to make me one next week for sure!!



See! I told you it was the cutest thing in the world! Do you see the squash? The leaves? The little grapes in the back? It is pure love that I am letting this jewel get away from me! I'm so getting one of these babies next week for MY table!!!


Virginia made this precious little caterpillar! I love the the fact that she has a true rainbow going on here. ROYGBIV! Red, orange, yellow, green blue, indigo (or violet!). This little buddy is also going to my grandmother...oh the agony!

I made a few leaves that I wanted to hang around the house. I needed a little fall touch for a vase that is on my table centerpiece, so I used a little raffia and made this leaf. That is an apple from our picking adventures last weekend! We have soooo many apples!

My gift for my grandmom is a pumpkin candle holder. It turned out pretty cute. My grandmother will love it!

OK, just a few more precious Hans Bronson photos! Those cutie pie country girls. I could eat them up!Virginia and Lily getting ready for their solos! They did awesome!

Tomorrow we are gone for the weekend to celebrate with our family. I know we're going to surprise my grandmother and I can't wait to celebrate another year. I also can't wait to see all of my family too!

post signature

1 comment:

Brooke said...

So what is the recipe for the dough? These are too cute, and you know me, i love a good craft!