Saturday, October 25, 2008

What a weekend!

This weekend has been so much fun...with lots of fall fun had by all! We started out on Thursday night (which is like our Friday night since Jay doesn't have to go to work on Friday) with a fun family night starting with a new Italian meatloaf (thanks Katherine!) recipe for dinner and topped off with a fun fall dessert! I found this recipe in my Family Fun magazine (which I am addicted to and have been a subscriber for 6 years!). They looked so precious and were filled with melted chocolate and had raw sugar all over the top...yummy!

Then, last night was WICKED! It was amazing and absolutely hysterical. Jay and I both laughed until we cried all during the musical. Jay felt that it was the best overall musical we have seen. It was a tie between Phantom and Wicked. They are just so different...and I LOVE both. I can't pick a favorite! But, if you EVER have the chance to see Wicked...SEE IT!!! The music is wonderful and it is so cool to have the other side of the story. Also, all the questions you never thought to ask get answered like:

1. Why is the Wicked Witch green?

2. Why were the red slippers so important to her?

3. Who were the scarecrow, cowardly lion, and tin man?

4. What is Glinda's story?

5. Where did those crazy flying monkeys come from?

6. Why were she and her sister wicked?

7. And some I can't tell you since there are some really big secrets revealed...and I'm not telling:)

We had a fantastic time...but couldn't take any photos while it was going on. So, all I have is the opening set. You'll just have to go and see it yourself!

Then, today we went to our second annual trip to the Life is Good Pumpkin Festival! Our family loves Life is Good gear and have for years. Last year we went to the festival and had a blast! And we truly loved the fact that all proceeds from this event go directly to children in need.

So, we loaded up and headed to Flowery Branch and had the best time!

The girls enjoyed running the the hay maze about 10 times today! The weather was beautiful and just cool enough to need a light jacket...my kind of fall day!!!
We ALL had on our Life is Good gear! I actually found a long sleeved tee that had a tea cup that says..."Take your sweet time." I loved it!
Tug of war was a big hit! It was girls against girls...and...

Anli's team is the winner! It was a really good match up that lasted several minutes!
We got some...interesting...prizes!
The girls couldn't wait to get their faces painted. Virginia is a kitty...and Anli wanted to be a dog to match the teeth she won! I'm not sure what kind of dog she is...but I think it's so cute that she never even thought about those teeth being Dracula! She immediately thought they were dog teeth...you're right on Anli!
Then, it was over the the pumpkin patch where they each picked out a pumpkin to decorate. They loved spending lots of time dressing their pumpkins! They are sooo cute!
My puppy and her pumpkin!
Then, tonight we got home and had our "Christmas list night." We made yummy homemade hot chocolate which is SO much better than the package stuff! We don't have a fireplace, so we bought this DVD of a crackling fire (or with wonderful Christmas music). We love this because it doesn't put out heat so you can have a cosy fire even in the middle of summer, it doesn't use any energy or gas so no cost on the power bill, and there's no clean up! We love it!!!
Then, we settle down to look through catalogues for Christmas list ideas...for themselves and for family. I DO NOT do malls for Christmas! I am purely a catalogue girl...if at all possible. So, we start early making our catalogue lists because I like to get it done early and have to account for shipping times.
We crank up the Christmas music, light our Holiday Sage candles, wear Christmas pajamas, and sip hot chocolate...for one night! Then, all of those things are put away until the day after Thanksgiving. It's our one little preview of Christmas...in the middle of October! They love it!!

After we had looked through lots of fun catalogues and made a list of wishes...we sat as a family and opened the most important catalogue we get. It is the Operation Christmas Child Christmas catalogue. It gives gift ideas for children around the world who have absolutely nothing...including their health. We look over this and choose those items that touch our hearts. There are things like blankets, books, Bibles, dairy goats, airline tickets for a child who needs surgery, a new home, feeding a baby for a week, a little lamb stuffed animal, sports gear, and much more. It is truly an amazing oppotunity to join God in caring for families around the world.
Then, each girl gets to choose the items that they will give these children from their allowance and extra earned money. We then choose items to give in honor of each family member. Everyone will not only receive a handmade gift from the girls this Christmas...they will be honored by us giving to those who have nothing at all. If you are interested in this catalogue...go to www.samaritanspurse.org for more information. It is an awesome way to really connect with God's heart this Christmas...it is our small gift to Him for the eternal life and blessings He gives us!
What a great weekend! God is so good and I am among the most blessed!!!

post signature

No comments: