Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A wonderful night

I just have to say that last night was an amazing night for me! It started with "messy night" family dinner!! OK, let me explain that one. Our family LOVES snow crab...I mean it borders on obsession for all of us. When we go to Destin and arrive at our favorite crab shack, Dewies, I think they know they are about to strike it rich! We can buy and eat our way through a LOT of crab. Don't let theses skinny girls fool you when it comes to crab...just get out of the way!

Well, yesterday as I was taking the girls grocery shopping we walked by the seafood counter. We have begun to make sure we eat some kind of fish or seafood every week...so I am spending more and more time talking with my fish monger about recipes and fresh ideas for fresh seafood.

**I have to add a little side note here: I am not a chef or even a very good cook! I can follow a recipe like crazy...but I am NOT one of those creative wives who are exploring the world of cooking. But, I HAVE found a great way to organize my menu and have used it for a while. I organize my daily menus by category. For example, here is my menu for the month:
Mondays: Soups, salads, and sandwiches (because the girls rock climb and need a light dinner)
Tuesday: Seafood
Wednesday: Church meal
Thursday: Beef
Friday or Saturday: Chicken or Pork
Sunday: Slow - cooker recipe


It makes my life so easy...and I just make a huge list of all the things I make and the sides that go with them according to the category. That way I don't sit around wondering what to have for dinner every night...I just pick one of my recipes...and that means we only have a dish once a month which thrills my food loving husband! It has really been a lifesaver, because having dinner at home with family is a HUGE way I can show love to my husband!

Dad is the best "cracker. So he spends most of his time getting the crab meat out for his three crazy girls!


ANYWAY, back to the seafood counter! I happened to see that Canadian snow crab was on sale for $4.99 lb. For those of you who don't know...that is CRAZY cheap!!!! So, I happily bought 2 WHOLE pounds all the while dancing the happy crab dance.

So, last night we had messy dinner night together. We ate corn on the cobb and crab legs! It was super messy, but amazingly fun and YUMMY!!!


Then, I headed to our Foundation Bible Series group. It was our first night to hear from the women about how their week went in the study. It was such a blessing and encouragement to Ginger and I to hear how God had spoken through His Word! It was awesome for us to see it actually in action and hear the feedback. I was thrilled with how it went and the feedback was great and very helpful. It has been a long journey (2 years to be exact) and to see it actually in process was an amazing thing for me!


As I got in my car to head home, I called Jay to debrief with him like I always do. So, we spent the 10 or so minutes on my way home just talking about all that happened. I know it's crazy, but I talk to him all the way home and then even as I get to the door. I hung up...opened the door and was greeted by the most amazing sight I could have imagined! Jay had all my wonderful fall candles lit, the fire blazing (DVD fire of course), a cozy cup of hot tea steaming, and a plate full of brownies...and my favorite Windom Hill Thanksgiving instrumental music playing.

We had our very own date night right then! We had time to continue talking about the night and just hanging out together. I can't even explain with words how much that touched my heart. I LOVE to have wonderful smelling candles going, fabulous music playing and a cup of my favorite hot tea in my hand...and my man by my side...talking!!! WOW...what a night!


I share all of this for myself and my girls to read years from now. This blog is for my family. It is our daily journey through life...those things I would never put in my scrapbook...but are more precious to me than big events or isolated holidays and vacations. This is my journal to my children and grandchildren of what our daily walking out of life looked like.

I want them to know that their daddy brought their mommy flowers every week (don't you love these candy corn daisies?). That he took me to musicals and took them climbing alone every week just to spend time with "his girls." I want them to see what life looked like. I want them to know that they loved crab from the time they were little. I want them to see how important our family nights were to us. I want them to see the devotion they were going through when they were 7. I want them to know that I wasn't a good cook...but I tried. I want them to know that I struggled and failed every day...but was wildly in love with God, their father, and them! I want them to hear from my heart, read those things that touched us, and have a written record of their lives in this season. It's become the journal I never could keep...but now couldn't live without them having!

So, that's why there are TONS of pictures, lots of little moments, and things like my menu ideas and family dinner fun. It's our life. It's our daily journey. It's precious to me...and that's why it's here. I want my kids to have my journal and know what our daily life was like...big and small. I pray that this journey blesses you in some way, but mostly...it's just the little stuff that I thank God for every day!

post signature

No comments: